7 Affordable Therapy Options – How To Find A Cheap Therapist
Why is therapy so expensive? Why isn’t therapy more affordable? We’ve all heard the saying “retail therapy is cheaper than a therapist” and while most of us wish retail therapy was covered by our health insurance, we soon realize after one “retail therapy session” we are on our own. The cost of therapy sessions can seem rather expensive for those who do not have insurance and can be quite the hassle for those who do have insurance.Either way, a few dollars or phone calls to your insurance providers should not get in the way of seeking the help you deserve and need.
Many people struggle with finding a therapist that is either affordable or covered by their insurance. New patients say they spend up to 5 hours on the phone trying to schedule an appointment with a therapist only to find out they’re not accepting new patients or have a waiting list past two months. Other patients say that spend up to 1-2 days finding out if their insurance is accepted by the therapist.
A little more research may be required to help find the most affordable therapist or in some cases alternative therapy options depending on one’s budget. Luckily, we’ve put together a short list of ways to find an affordable therapist and cheap therapy options.
7 Affordable Therapy Options
1. Call 211 and find out about mental health, counseling, or other resources available in your community and beyond.
2. Sign-up for ReachOut – FREE social network ideal for people on the go, or those who would rather get help and connect with others via phone
3. Find a therapist who has a sliding scale, which can reduce the cost of therapy based on your situation
4. Ask if your employer offers Employee Assistance Program (EAP), which can provide you with a short-term mental health care, referrals, etc.
5. Look into nearby graduate schools or teaching hospitals, which usually have clinics where trainees see people at reduced rate
6. Consider group therapy or support groups
7. Download HeadSpace app – a cost-effective therapy option that provides guided meditation session and mindfulness training
Remember spending money on therapy isn’t a luxury expense it’s an investment towards a healthier and happier life.
Montville Counseling Center offers therapy sessions and provides guidance and tools to live a happy and healthy life. We offer a FREE 30 min look me over session to start!
Call us now (973) 331-0043 to schedule your consultation session.